The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs

The "VA" for short offers a wide
range of benefits for our Nation's veterans, service members, and their families. Contact the PVA. or Compensation and Pension Benefits
Benefits Information & Assistance For more information about specific
benefits, visit the nearest VA regional office or call TOLL FREE 1-800-827-1000

Veterans Benefits Administration
Department of Veterans Affairs
Washington, DC 20420

The American Association For Wartime Veterans

"The American Association For Wartime Veterans.  Our mission is to educate our senior wartime veterans, their surviving spouses and family members on a little known tax free government benefit that can provide them up to $1,949 per month in additional tax free income which helps them pay for increasing medical costs associated with aging."
An excerpt from their website:

Community Development Block Grant

Home modifications to improve accessibility are often funded as well.  Eligibility and terms of the grants and loans will vary with community.  To find out whether your community has this kind of program, contact your city’s or county’s Community Development, Planning or Housing office.  You should be able to find their numbers by calling your local city hall or checking the “Government” section of the phone book.

United Spinal Association

United Spinal Association can assist patients with grants for home modifications ($5,000); assistive technology ($500) and vehicle modification ($500). They also provide resources/information for ADA, Advocacy, Wheelchair travel, housing, etc. They encourage patient membership which is free.  Call 1-800-404-2898

Michigan Vocational Rehabilitation

Michigan Rehabilitation Services
201 N. Washington Square
4th Floor
P.O. Box 30010
Lansing, MI 48909
Toll Free: (800)605-6722
Direct: (517)373-2062
TTY: (888)605-6722
Fax: (517)335-7277,1607,7-122-25392---,00.html


Local clubs sponsor charity events for individuals, donate funding (where available) and labor to help those in need. Contact Lion Clubs or at:

300 W 22ND ST
OAK BROOK IL 60523-8842
630) 571-5466

Kiwanis International

"Kiwanians are volunteers changing the world through service to children and communities. Kiwanis members help shelter the homeless, feed the hungry, mentor the disadvantaged, and care for the sick. They develop youth as leaders, build playgrounds, raise funds for pediatric research, and much more. No problem is too big or too small."

Kiwanis International
3636 Woodview Trace
Indianapolis, IN 46268-3196
Toll Free: 1-800-549-2647  [dial 411]

Assistive Technology Loan Fund

Assistive technology is defined as any item, piece of equipment, or device that enables an individual with a disability to improve individual independence and quality of life included accessible home modifications.

If you would like to apply for a loan to purchase any item or piece of equipment that will help your independence and overall quality of life, contact your local Assistive Technology Center by Clicking on Assistive Technology.


Final Note on funding

Check locally for organizations that may provide funding or services in your area. Also check with your local Chamber of Commerce. Some local organizations may donate funds, hold fund raising events, and provide help in other ways.





Call today 586-484-0434

Barrier-Free Building, Inc.
P.O. Box 348
Washington, MI 48094


Funding for Handicap Accessibility Home Remodeling

Macomb-Oakland Regional Center, Inc.


MORC, Inc. provides many services under a Medicaid Waiver program for the elderly and disabled. These services include: Supports coordination, Self-Determination, Clinical Services, Children and family Services, Home Choices, Vocational Services, Respite Services, Recreational Therapy, Rehabilitation, Autism, Home Care, and Training.

Clinton Township Office

16200 Nineteen Mile Road

P.O. Box 380710

Clinton Township, MI 48038-0070

TELEPHONE : (586) 263-8700 | TOLL FREE : (866) 807-6940

TTY (586) 286-5036

Auburn Hills Office

1270 Doris Road

Auburn Hills, MI 48326-2617

TELEPHONE: (248) 276-8000 | TOLL FREE: (866) 754-3398

FAX: (248) 276-9280

TTY: (248) 276-8009


Michigan Center for Independent Living and Statewide Independent Living Councils

Charis Austin, SILC Chair
417 Seymour Street, Suite 10
Lansing, MI 48933
(517) 371-4872 or (800) 808-7452
TTY: (517) 371-4874
FAX: (517) 371-4875

Social Security

The Social Security and Supplemental Security Income disability programs are the largest of several Federal programs that provide assistance to people with disabilities. While these two programs are different in many ways, both are administered by the Social Security Administration and only individuals who have a disability and meet medical criteria may qualify for benefits under either program.

Social Security Disability Insurance pays benefits to you and certain members of your family if you are "insured," meaning that you worked long enough and paid Social Security taxes.

Supplemental Security Income pays benefits based on financial need.

Medicaid Services

HCBS Waivers Section 1915 (c) (This waiver is designed to provide services and financial support on a case by case basis over and above the standard Medicaid benefits at no cost to the recipient).

To start the application process click on Medicaid Waiver to locate your local office.

Reverse mortgages

Reverse mortgages are designed for homeowners age 62 and older.  These types of loans are called “reverse” mortgages because the lender makes payments to the homeowner.  To qualify for this loan, the home must be your main residence.

Unlike conventional mortgages, there are no income requirements for these loans.  Reverse mortgage borrowers do not need to make any monthly payments for as long as they (or in the case of spouses, the last remaining borrower) continue to live in the home.  When the last borrower moves out of the home or dies, the loan becomes due.

Please contact us for more information and contacts for reverse mortgages.

USDA Rural Development Housing & Community Facilities Program

Purpose:  The Very Low-Income Housing Repair program provides loans and grants to very low-income homeowners to repair, improve, or modernize their dwellings or to remove health and safety hazards.

Eligibility:  To obtain a loan, homeowner-occupants must be unable to obtain affordable credit elsewhere and must have very low incomes, defined as below 50 percent of the area median income.  They must need to make repairs and improvements to make a dwelling more safe and sanitary or to remove health and safety hazards.  Grants are only available to homeowners who are 62 years old or older and cannot repay a Section 504 Loan.

The amount of the grant is based on the applicant’s ability to repay (USDA loan), and must be used in conjunction with the Repair and Rehabilitation Loan.  The lifetime maximum grant amount is $7,500.00.

Loans and grants can be combined for up to $27,500.00 in assistance. 

For detailed information about Rural Development programs and applications for financial assistance click USDA Service Centers.


National Transplant Assistance Fund
"The mission of NTAF is to help transplant and catastrophic injury patients and their families afford critical but uninsured medically related expenses by providing fund raising guidance and patient support, as well as financial assistance and other resources."
An excerpt from:  


Disability Specific Organizations